Skip to main content

Jennifer Lauren Handmade - Sorrel Dress

Hi there, its been a while since I've blogged about any makes, but this one is worth it.

 I was lucky to be able to pattern test for Jennifer Lauren Handmade.
The Sorrel Dress is a shirtdress with a relaxed vintage style, and Jen is using it in her Kickstarter campaign to start printing her patterns in paper format! I'm a big fan of her patterns, I have many of them, so if your interested have a look at her Kickstarter page, http://kck.st/2zkET2W and make a pledge if your able.

The Pattern

I made view 2, in size 16 with a C cup based on my measurements as per the pattern. Most of the JLH (Jennifer Lauren Handmade) patters come in cup sizes A to D, making fitting so much easier.

I used a viscose fabric from Cotton Reel Studio I've had in my stash for over a year. The recommended fabric ranges from cotton lawn, viscose to denims.

The only modification I made was to lengthen the skirt at the lengthen/shorten line. I added 2 inches, to save my blushes while running around after 3 small children and a dog, I find longer lengths just make me more comfortable and I'm not worrying about bending over and playing on the floor. For reference I'm just about 5ft 4" tall.


One of the best things I love about JLH patterns is the pdf comes with a sheet that details all the pattern pieces included and which pages you need to print for which pattern piece. Layers are also included so you also only print the size you require, making joining the pages together so much easier. Both of these features mean the printing and sticking together is so much quicker and less tiresome, (I am not a big fan of pdfs, due to my time to sew being limited and I'd rather be sewing than sticking a pdf together) and more enjoyable.

The Fit

I really like the fit of the dress. The double open-ended darts at the bodice and skirt waistline define the waist just enough while still being a comfortable and easy to wear dress. The cup size choice gives a good fit too.


One thing I love about the Sorrel dress is that by using a different fabric you can achieve a different look. My original tester version was made from a linen and this gave the dress a more structured feel and the waist was more defined with a more A-line skirt. Whereas, this version in viscose gives a more flowing garment. 




The Instructions

The instructions are well written and accompanied by line drawings which I find easy to follow and clear. The construction of the dress comes together as expected and was a quick sew. I like the way and explanation used for hemming the dress, which gives a nice neat finish to the facing and hem. There are 11 buttons or snaps to attach, and luckily my machine behaved its self this time and the button holes went in first time. I found the placement of the buttons spot on for my liking.

The Sorrel Dress

So in case I haven't made my feelings clear, there are many features I really like. I love the V neck for its flattering neckline and the foldout collar is perfect and a simple sew. I like the kimono sleeves, I think they give the dress a casual look and most of all its very comfortable and easy to wear.

I also love the fact that cup sizes are included, making fitting easier and better. 

The Sorrel Dress comes together really easily and quickly, with well set out and easy to follow instructions, so I would definitely recommend it to everyone, even beginner sewists.

Its perfect if you love shirtdresses, which I do, especially if your after one with a casual vintage style, that's comfy and easy to wear. I really love that depending on your fabric choice it also gives a different look, my initial tester version was in a linen which gave it a more structured fitted feel. My second version was made from a viscose and gave a more relaxed, flowing silhouette.




Thanks for stopping by to read and if you're already a fan of Jen or even if not, take a look at her Kickstarter Campaign.

Rebecca xx



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Closet Case Files Kalle Shirtdress

I liked the look of the Kalle shirtdress when it was first released and loved Lauren's ( Guthrie and Ghani ) versions in her summer capsule wardrobe. But it was Beck's ( I sew therefore I am ) versions that cemented my need for it in my wardrobe! I am a total fan girl of Beck's and would happily wear her gorgeous wardrobe of me mades. As usual before I make a garment I find blogs of it and take notes of their findings. It is mixed for the Kalle shirtdress, some say they have sized down and preferred the fit and look. While others have made the size as guided by their measurements. I was unsure so decided to make a wearable toile with a soft brushed cotton and viscose mix I had from Minerva Crafts. I made a size 12 based on my chest measurement. I've worn the dress a lot. It fits easily into my 'throw it on and head out the door mummy wardrobe', and while it's maybe not the most flattering dress for my figure sometimes I don't want to fee

My #2018MakeNine

This is the first time I have taken part in #MakeNine, a list of 9 projects I really want to make this year. It is run by Rochelle of  @homeowfibre and the details can be found on her blog at luckylucille.com. What I love about this challenge is its really simple to narrow down your goals and work at your own pace, having the whole of 2018 to complete it! I've decided to only use patterns and fabric I have in my stash, apart from the coat fabric, as I don't have coating fabric laying around in my stash. The reason I am limiting myself to patterns and fabric I already have is because of life in 2017 (being pregnant for the first half and then having a newborn who never heard of naps, and trying to lose my squishy baby body) meant that I collected the patterns and fabric and now need to get sewing. Here is my #2018MakeNine Jennifer Lauren Handmade Nixie Briefs  When Jennifer released this pattern I clicked purchase straight away! I love the feminine style of the