Skip to main content

My #2018MakeNine

This is the first time I have taken part in #MakeNine, a list of 9 projects I really want to make this year. It is run by Rochelle of @homeowfibre and the details can be found on her blog at luckylucille.com.

What I love about this challenge is its really simple to narrow down your goals and work at your own pace, having the whole of 2018 to complete it! I've decided to only use patterns and fabric I have in my stash, apart from the coat fabric, as I don't have coating fabric laying around in my stash.

The reason I am limiting myself to patterns and fabric I already have is because of life in 2017 (being pregnant for the first half and then having a newborn who never heard of naps, and trying to lose my squishy baby body) meant that I collected the patterns and fabric and now need to get sewing.

Here is my #2018MakeNine





Jennifer Lauren Handmade Nixie Briefs 

When Jennifer released this pattern I clicked purchase straight away! I love the feminine style of these bum covering knickers, and the fact she talks about using the pattern for stash busting scraps also appeals to me and my scrap pile. I also love the choice of hipster or high-waisted briefs. 


Named Clothing Gaia Coat

A coat has been on my sewing list for a while and I love Named patterns and really wanted an 'oversized' coat and it was between this and the Sapporo coat from Papercut Patterns. The Gaia won as I really wanted to be able to fasten it. I recently ordered some wool from Fabworks to make this, and I'm hoping I'll have the time soon, at least before the cold leaves us..... 



Helen's Closet Winslow Culottes 

I have been wanting to make these for a long time now and have various fabric outlined. I will initially make the full length and then probably a shorter length for summer, no worrying about the wind and people seeing my undies, although they will be good undies if I manage to get the Nixie Briefs made! 



Sew Over It Vintage Shirtdress

What drew me to this dress, and all the other dresses I have at the moment, is its a shirtdress so I can easily breastfeed in it. All my clothes need to be easily lifted or have buttons to be able to feed. That said I do love the style and see it being a wardrobe staple even if not breastfeeding. 



Sew Over It Mia Jeans

I have wanted to make jeans since seeing everybody's versions on Instagram, especially Closet Case Patterns Ginger jeans. But I have the Mia pattern already so I'll make these first and see how I go. 



Jennifer Lauren Handmade Juniper Cardigan

I love all of Jennifer's patterns and purchased the Juniper as soon as it was released. I will make the cropped version first and recently made the men's version the Auden so know this will be a good make with straightforward instructions. I love the saddle shoulder detail on the cardi. 



True Bias Ogden Cami

Initially I was unsure whether to make this part of my #2018MakeNine, but decided it will be an easy one to wip up, is a good stash buster and everyone looks great in it. 



Megan Nielsen Darling Ranges 

The shape of this simple top is just what I'm looking for and bonus it has the buttons. I will most definitely make the dress too this year, I have a chambray I have marked out for it. 



Tilly and The Buttons Arielle skirt

My sister bought me this for Christmas and I can't wait to make this up in corduroy or denim, or both. 



So that makes my #2018MakeNine, I really hope to get these made this year, along with all the other patterns I have and I am looking forward to making and wearing. I'm hoping to sort out a designated sewing space this year so there will be no unpacking and packing back up every time I want to sew. This will make it easier to use the 'spare' 30 minutes I get, and also sew everyday (hopefully - even if just a seam) making completing projects easier. 

Good Luck with your #2018MakeNine if your taking part and I look forward to seeing everybody else's. 

Rebecca x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jennifer Lauren Handmade - Sorrel Dress

Hi there, its been a while since I've blogged about any makes, but this one is worth it.  I was lucky to be able to pattern test for  Jennifer Lauren Handmade . The Sorrel Dress is a shirtdress with a relaxed vintage style, and Jen is using it in her Kickstarter campaign to start printing her patterns in paper format! I'm a big fan of her patterns, I have many of them, so if your interested have a look at her Kickstarter page,  http://kck.st/2zkET2W and make a pledge if your able. The Pattern I made view 2, in size 16 with a C cup based on my measurements as per the pattern. Most of the JLH (Jennifer Lauren Handmade) patters come in cup sizes A to D, making fitting so much easier. I used a viscose fabric from  Cotton Reel Studio I've had in my stash for over a year. The recommended fabric ranges from cotton lawn, viscose to denims. The only modification I made was to lengthen the skirt at the lengthen/shorten line. I added 2 inches, to save my blus

My dress of the summer, Megan Nielsen Darling Rangers Dress

Hi there, its been so long since I blogged, so I decided I would get back into with my favourite make of the summer. It is my most worn item this summer. I had originally made it in March and although I did wear this initial version, there were a few issues that stopped it being a favourite. Once I had fixed these I made 2 more! I made a cotton lawn version in Lisa Comfort fabric and a linen/viscose mix from Lady McElroy and they both were in heavy rotation.  The pattern its self is easy to follow, I find Megan Nielsen patterns are well illustrated and written. All the elements come together as expected, and the pattern pieces are easy t make the alterations required. For reference my measurements are; Height 164cm Bust 100cm Waist 86cm Hips 114 cm I made a size L chest graded to a XL at the waist and hips, with the following adjustment's.  Firstly, when I moved my arms it felt tight across my upper back, like the seams were staining. Secondly, I felt the actua

Closet Case Files Kalle Shirtdress

I liked the look of the Kalle shirtdress when it was first released and loved Lauren's ( Guthrie and Ghani ) versions in her summer capsule wardrobe. But it was Beck's ( I sew therefore I am ) versions that cemented my need for it in my wardrobe! I am a total fan girl of Beck's and would happily wear her gorgeous wardrobe of me mades. As usual before I make a garment I find blogs of it and take notes of their findings. It is mixed for the Kalle shirtdress, some say they have sized down and preferred the fit and look. While others have made the size as guided by their measurements. I was unsure so decided to make a wearable toile with a soft brushed cotton and viscose mix I had from Minerva Crafts. I made a size 12 based on my chest measurement. I've worn the dress a lot. It fits easily into my 'throw it on and head out the door mummy wardrobe', and while it's maybe not the most flattering dress for my figure sometimes I don't want to fee